Saturday, April 7, 2007

Sewing is Fun

I often wonder how many other people think that sewing is fun. Surely, I'm not the only one. Just the thought of creating something from nothing is exhilarating. Don't get me wrong, I like to shop ready-to-wear also. I get the same feeling when I find a high quality, designer-made garment marked 50% off, plus an additional 30% off at the register. When I calculate the time and effort to sew it myself, I know I have a bargain.

That bargain, however, comes with a risk. The risk of wearing my bargain out and seeing 3 other people in the exact same garment.

And, that is what makes sewing so much fun. I never run the risk of going out, standing next to a carbon copy. When I wear something that I have sewn myself, it's unique and one-of-a-kind. I've created my own brand, and I enjoyed the process. That's fun!

1 comment:

sheri said...

i love the thing about wearing the carbon copy..it has happened to me and also my mom,,so i seldom buy store clothes other than tshirts etc,this way i not only won't have the same dress but NO ONE will ever have one like it as it is always my own design,and no matter how much BEGGING i have gotten i refuse to make the same item for someone else..maybe close but NEVER the same..sheri